Wednesday 12 June 2013

Lingering Effect of the Mussorie Trip

It’s hard not to look back. Even after two days, I’m still in the reminiscence mode; scrolling through the pictures; listening to the songs we played in the car; trying to soak it all in, lest I forget. I’m stuck in the time warp and I don’t want to get out of it.

For different reasons, the trip to Dehradun and Mussorie will be a cherished memory. Apart from the fact that it was the first time I went somewhere, it was a dream come true to meet Ruskin Bond. Last month when I interviewed Amish Tripathi, I thought it couldn’t get any better but it did. This time I met an author I admire, talked to him and got him to sign my book. And to think I was about to cancel the trip! It would have been the biggest mistake of my life.

Oh, the hills! It’s one thing to see a place in movies or pictures, even dreams but up, close and personal, it is something unexplainable. I was at a loss of word then and I’m at a loss of words now. I was awestruck, jumping with joy and bewildered that no one else was as excited as I was (they all had been there, done that). They were all slightly amused to see me act like I kid who just got a bag full of candies.

Initially, I was apprehensive of the whole trip, the 6 hour journey (which took more time than we imagined), the change in weather, altitude and everything from food to hotels to trolley and waterfall. For someone who has never been anywhere, the fear of the unknown was gripping but better sense prevailed and here I am, writing about how I could never forget this trip. May be it was because my friends were too thoughtful or because I had watched Ranbir Kapoor do much more in YJHD just a night prior to the trip or because I really did want it. Now I know that I will always want it. Sure I got sick, sure it was too taxing, but it was all worth it. Those two minutes with Ruskin Bond, that view from the Gunhill Point, climbing the rocks at Kempty Falls and everything in between.

It may seem silly that a small trip could affect someone this much. It’s not a big deal, obviously. It’s a matter of few hours, not like I have been to space. But for me, it’s so much more and the funny thing is that I can’t explain it, not even to myself. I just remembered one thing while I was climbing rocks at Kempty Falls: Main chalna chahta hoon, Naina. Udna chahta hoon. Bas rukna nahi chahta. This is something I have been telling myself for a few months now.







3 comments:

ME ! said...

Absolutely loved it ! :)
U just keep getting better and better :)

Simmy George said...

I read your blog again after a really long time. You've grown so much as a writer. Keep going..

Shreena said...

:) :)