Monday 18 March 2013

A Wing And A Prayer


I read a rather disturbing book last year - We Need To Talk About Kevin. It wasn’t written poorly, but the story was horrifying. Not getting into the details of it, there’s one thing I particularly liked in it – the name of a travel company, A Wing and A Prayer. Initially, I had no clue what it meant but even then, I was fascinated with it. It was the only positive, hopeful thing in the entire book and I’m glad I Googled it up.

Here goes the story: during the World War 2, a plane is shot. It has lost one of its wings. The captain asks a clerk if he knows what happened to that plane and the clerk affirms that he does: it was shot and it is coming on a wing and a prayer.  

I can’t pinpoint what exactly I find so enthralling about this poem that was written about the incident. It’s just one of those things that are hard to explain. Normally, I’m not a big fan of poems because I believe I fail to grasp the poetic meaning, that deep emotional stuff that you literally need to decode like the teachers taught you in high school. I was never good at it. This poem, though, it’s pretty straightforward. It talks about struggles, hard ship, perseverance and faith. With one motor gone, we can still carry on.

It’s self-explanatory, thank God!

One of our planes was missing
Two hours overdue
One of our planes was missing
With all its gallant crew
The radio sets were humming
We waited for a word
Then a noise broke
Through the humming and this is what we heard

Comin' in on a wing and a prayer
Comin' in on a wing and a prayer
Though there's one motor gone
We can still carry on
Comin' in on a wing and a prayer

What a show, what a fight, boys
We really hit our target for tonight
How we sing as we limp through the air
Look below, there's our field over there
With just one motor gone
We can still carry on
Comin' in on a wing and a prayer

-        - Harold Adamson and Jimmie McHugh

No comments: