Tuesday 5 March 2013

Because Reality Is Not Fiction


When a character invokes feelings in you, he has touched your heart. You want him to win every fight; you root for him and you are by his side even if he doesn’t know it. Of course he is just a character; you know it’s all fictitious; nothing that is happening on screen affects anyone in real. But you still switch on the television every night to see him and encourage him to bang the heads of all his archenemies. It’s not just a show once you start loving or hating someone, it becomes so much more.

For someone who gets bored of things very easily, I have watched my fair share of television series. Family dramas have always been a favorite with occasional detour to comedy and thriller. If given a choice, I’d still probably choose Brothers and Sisters over Modern Family. The story seemed so real (until it got batshit crazy) and each character had something to offer, even those who were dead contributed to the story. I have always believed that whenever a writer writes a story, he gives a part of himself to his characters – the good, the bad, the ugly, it all comes from the one who is trying to say something about himself. Gradually, he molds his representatives in a way that the audience wants to see him and sometimes, he does something bizarre and takes everyone by surprise. That’s the beauty of it – the twists and turns and the “OH NO!” moments.

Inspiration comes from within, as much as people around us. If I want to write something, I’d probably write about a girl (or desserts). I’d kill a lot of bad men in my story and I’m positive the girl will be the hero of my story, taking antagonists down singlehandedly, running them over and celebrating their deaths without any remorse. Good over evil, right? Even in fiction, I want to say something about my life, which I feel everyone does. Subconsciously, we leave traces of our story, dots that connect and on some level, we want people to see it, to find the clues and may be feel empowered. All we have to do is think of a story that keeps people on the edge of their seats with their nails in their mouth and thumping hearts. When you make that happen, then you can call yourself successful as a writer. I have seen one incredible woman who has done it and so beautifully, if I may add. Shonda Rhimes is one hell of a genius. Creator of Grey’s Anatomy and Private Practice, she has moved people, literally. She made us laugh, she made us cry, she made us love her and hate her but we are still hooked to her story – we want to know what happens next, even if it is so bad that it will kill us!

This is something I’d like to hear when I write. Love me, hate me, just read my story and tell me you were gripped. I love clichés as much as I enjoy unpredictable twists in a plot. It’s the balancing act that I need to concentrate on, rest will come on its own. Or so I’m hoping.

One Tree Hill churned my wheels and reminded me why I find these shows so enchanting. Go, Lucas! Nathan is going down and so is his father!


No comments: